Tuesday, March 3, 2009

FLASHBACK!!!!

From: Palm Beach Post, March 3, 2009
Where Were You In 62?
Well, I can't remember too much from 1962 since I was only in grade school
but the late 60's are a different story! This picture in today's Palm Beach Post brought
back a flood of memories. I had totally forgotten about the Amaryllis. I was in High
School then and remember walking down the beach and touching it's hull.
The Amaryllis, a 441 foot freighter pushed ashore by Hurricane Betsy on September 8, 1965. Eventually it became a hazard, so on August 22, 1968 it was towed out to become an artificial reef.
I also wanted to put these pictures on our blog just to bug Katie! You see, Katie considers surfing in Florida to be a joke. Yes, I agree that California and Hawaii have larger waves usually, but we have pretty beaches with WARM water! "
Surf City" may be in California but we also have a part of surfing history from our numerous beaches to our Ron Jon Surf Shops!

Enjoy a little bit of history from the "Dark Ages" from back when I was a teenager in Palm Beach
County.
p.s. The ship was also in the background during the filming of the show "Treasure Island" at the Colonnades Beach Hotel.

No comments: