"Get your infor-ma-shun, right here...!" This is the Reference Desk at thebeautiful, new branch library on Hagen Ranch Road in Delray Beach.
I (Katie) was ticked off when told I'd be working here (a mere 33 miles one-way from my house, while petrol costs $4.15/gallon) until my branch (which is closed for renovation) re-opens. HOWEVER, this facility is truly a pleasure to "toil" in! And the staff are great, too! Above is the "reading room", arranged here for a coffee & cake reception at the Grand Opening.
I took this picture of a staff member who'd forgotten her camera. What a great area for reading, using the WiFi, or gazing out towards the lake. The landscaping is terrific. Oh, and there's a fire station just next door. (Lots of older library patrons from King's Point spend their retirement hours at the library!!!) I saw the firefighters exercising out back the other morning. :)
Elizabeth takes a peek, as another staffer walks into the shot! Elizabeth is also from my home branch, heading the Children's Department. She's one of the most creative people I've ever met! I learn a lot from her.
Looking out towards the circulation desk from the Children's Department. We all need to sit under a tree to read once in a while, don't we? Those are large "board books" in the tree display; DVDs and CDs are on the shelves. Notice the PAW PRINTS in the carpeting. Animal paintings are on the walls, too! Such fun!
Computer stations for the kids (10 of 'em, plus a catalog and a PC reservation computer) to the left. This is a HUGE room. Love it!
Here's part of our information desk. "Beginning Readers" and "Easy" bookcases, too.
We had the kids' tables covered in paper, and ready for all-day crafting Friday thru Sunday this opening weekend. Friday was a true joy working with the kids and their crafts and their questions and their searches for their favorite books. Saturday, we five Childrens staffers were stormed with kids, parents, and grandparents! We did a lot of tidying and sweeping! There was a storytime (over 110 people attended), Karl Koppertop made animal balloons for the kids for over 2 hours, and there was a magician show!This isn't even all of this fantastic Children's Department! The StoryTime room has HUGE paw prints in the carpeting, and a big-screen TV for movies and games. (We had "Guitar Hero" and "Dance Dance Revolution" going for the kids this weekend.)
SO. I'm truly grateful for the situation I'm in....I've got a great job, in a beautiful place, working with some wonderful people who are quickly becoming my friends. The "Volunteens" (teenagers who voluteer at the library) lend a freshness and an example of what good kids can do and be. And there's such JOY in serving children.
5 comments:
wow! that is a great library! so sad we will not be seing you anymore at royal palm beach!! have fun!
Hi Katie!! Great pictures, and thanks for putting them in your blog! It looks great; now hopefully the OBB face-lift will look as good....
Lovely!!!! Looks like a great place to spend your days!!!
Your pictures are great Katie. I miss you. xoxox Melissa
Hi Katie! It was great seeing you Fri though it was so brief! Miss ya...you got some really good pics of the library. The color scheme is let's say 'different'?! I hope OBB isn't as 'loud'...take care & hope to see ya soon! Steph
Post a Comment